Friday, June 20, 2014

A Request

Television (and by that, I mean the guys in charge of television, because it's still mostly guys in charge), I'd like to make a request. Can the women on your shows look more like women? Because the thing is that, with very few exceptions, the women I see on TV don't look like any women I know in real life, myself included.

That's a problem.

Like the current push for increased diversity in children and young adult fiction, I'd like to push for increased diversity in depictions of women on TV. We're not all bone-thin in tight skirts and tank tops rushing to crime scenes in stilettos. We're not all quirky. We're not all shrill or mean. We're not all on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

We're not all any one thing. We're three billion different things. Sadly, just a few things are being shown.

So I'm asking to see more because I know there's so much more to see.

Television, can you deliver?

No comments:

Post a Comment