Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Pearl Jam Was Right!


I'm not even taking part in these on-sales but I'm still feeling the tension and exasperation that I've come to associate with any on-sale. Log in at 9:55 for a 10am on-sale, refresh, refresh, refresh, the page finally loads, scan for tickets, nothing available, search again, nothing available, something pops up, take it, whatever it is, the tickets disappear out of the cart, start over, credit card not accepted, password not accepted, event sold out. The clock reads 10:05.

It's starting to feel like those were the good-old days. New aggravations have been added in to make the experience even more terrible. Are you verified? Will the website accept your verified code? Will any tickets show up? Will you be immediately redirected to resale tickets marked 10 times or more above face value? And don't forget the fees.

How I dearly wish Pearl Jam had succeeded in its attempted takedown of Ticketmaster more than 20 years ago. If more bands had joined in, maybe things would be different today, but TM prevailed, grew and grew and grew, merged with an organization that operates venues and sells tickets and sells merchandise, and entered the resale market. It's their world and concertgoers are just living in it.

This isn't news to anyone who's ever bought a ticket. Even when we were waking up before dawn to line up for ticket sales, there were flaws in the system. More than 20 people in line? Time to pull out the random wristbands. Oh, and there's a wristband fee! If the store didn't open precisely at 10, computers logged into the TM system, no one at your location would get a single ticket.

Now we're fighting it out from our desks and phones. We have multiple devices and screens open, friends on standby, fingers crossed that we'll be one of the lucky ones to make it from event page to ticket request to payment page to confirmation. We also have the TM-supported resale tickets to contend with.

I'm 100-percent in favor of fans who can't use their tickets being able to sell their tickets to other fans at face value. I've been on both sides of this transaction — happy to attend an event thanks to access to a spare ticket and happy to pass my ticket along to someone else when I couldn't use it. I'm not in favor of scalpers taking advantage of fan club, radio station, credit card and other presales to scoop up tickets that they immediately release back into the TM system at huge markups. TM charges fees on both the original sale and resale, so of course doesn't care that fans are being shut out or taken advantage of. Artists get their cut, too.

This is all business, I realize it. TM's main concern is its bottom line, and customers and all other concerns rank much, much lower. Over my three decades of concert-going, though, I have contributed to that bottom line. I know if I step back, if I refuse to go to big shows, if I don't join the fan club, if I won't jump through the hoops to get "verified," if I promise to never buy an overly inflated resale ticket, that there are thousands of others ready to fill the tiny void I leave behind.

Maybe this is what Pearl Jam faced back in the '90s, five guys yelling themselves hoarse as everyone around them shrugged their shoulders because dealing with these frustrations is just the cost of being a touring artist, the cost of being a fan. It shouldn't be, though, I shouldn't have to go broke and go gray just because I want to attend a concert. I shouldn't feel like this whole thing is a giant rip off. It is, though. So, what can be done about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment