Monday, June 14, 2010

Henry Rollins at Largo



I have a safety pin stamped on my hand, a fading reminder of the amazing time I had last night at Largo, a tiny theater in Los Angeles. My brother, nephew and I were second row center for the last of Henry Rollins' three-night spoken-word stand at the theater, a three-hour show that was hilarious and thoughtful and inspiring and reinforced why I have so admired this man for more than half my life.

I was introduced to Rollins in high school by my then-boyfriend who told me about this punk rock singer who wrote poetry. How could I not be hooked? I saw him perform with Rollins Band for the first time in 1994 and I got my first, and favorite, book, "One From None," a few months later. Soon followed more books and CDs, some music, most spoken word.

On his spoken word CDs, Rollins would talk about having his number listed in the phone book and answering calls and letters from kids in trouble. I wasn't in trouble, but I definitely could use some guidance from someone older, someone who made it out of a tough childhood, someone who'd seen a bit of the world, so I sent him a letter and asked for some advice. My brother was sorting the mail one day when he asks, "Who's Henry?" I couldn't think who Henry was, so he handed me the index card repurposed as a postcard that was addressed to me and had a perfectly thoughtful one-sentence answer to my question signed "Henry." Yeah, he wrote me back, twice in fact. I'll never forget that he took the time to think about me and my teenage problems and try to send some advice that would make me feel better, make me feel like my situation wasn't hopeless.

In that time, I also developed a crush that's never gone away.

My first spoken word show was in 1996 at Cal State Fullerton (front row center) and I met the man for the first time a year later at a book signing. I had so many things I wanted to say, like thank you, but as I moved closer and closer to the front of the snaking line, closer and closer to this amazing man in his black slacks, shiny dress shoes and silver long-sleeved shirt with banded collar (a perfect fit for a buff guy with a square jaw), I lost all composure and could only manage, "Hi!Wouldyousignmybookforme?" He wrote in my well-word copy of "One From None," "Hello from Henry Rollins."

He's signed a few more books for me, but that first one is still the most special, and, along with the postcards he sent me, among the items I would try to grab in a fire.

I did actually talk to him a year later, encouraged/pushed by a friend who knew I wouldn't be able to live myself if I chickened out a second time. I thanked him for answering my letter, told him how much it meant to me. He told me how hard he tried to answer all the letters he got from kids asking him for help. In between touring the world with spoken word shows, writing books, acting in TV and movies, hosting a weekly radio show, working with the USO and on and on, I think he still does.

I've been to eight Henry Rollins spoken word shows and two Rollins band shows. I've met him five times. I interviewed him for my college paper. I always have a picture of him on my desk. I have my books and CDs and ticket stubs and T-shirts. I have my article and interview notes. I still don't have a picture, yet, but feel pretty confident I'll get that chance at some show someday.

In being a Henry Rollins fan for 16 years, I know that he's not everyone's cup of tea, I know that some people think he's too angry, too preachy. I know there are people who don't agree with his political views or musical tastes (he famously dislikes U2). I know I'll never be able to convince them of the greatness I see and hear at any of his shows, in any of his books, on any of his CDs. Sometimes I think if they really listened, they'd understand why I still get so excited about going to see him in action, about reading his blogs for VanityFair.com, about him in general.

For instance, he gave this fantastic commencement speech last year in Northern California. I like that he not only respects people who are educated, but also has high expectations for what those grads (and the rest of us) can accomplish with that knowledge.

His shows mix that inspirational vibe with comedy, such as this clip:



Last night with Henry Rollins was an awesome three-hour ride. Sure, I didn't home until after 1 and had a very hard time getting out of bed for work this morning, but it was totally worth it getting to spend some time with one of my favorite people.

1 comment:

  1. That was a great speech--made me want to get off my couch and do something.

    ReplyDelete